Astore

Friday, November 18, 2005

Fear of Man

Fear of Man


This is an excerpt from my upcoming book called Do You Love Me? The book will tackle Evangelism and how that figures into our love for Jesus.

Almost every time I choose to withhold the gospel from someone, it is because of the fear of man. I am afraid they will think I am crazy. I am afraid they will attack me verbally or physically. I am afraid I will offend them by insinuating they are not a Christian or a good person. I am afraid if they are atheist, Buddhist, homosexual, or fill-in-the-blank, they will think I am being judgmental. My biggest fear is they know me and will bring up my sins from long ago … or from last week.

I was on the way to the hospital to visit a friend, Melissa, who had a blood vessel burst in her head. Her brother is one of my longest, lasting friends. I had been sharing the gospel, using questionnaires, with an EE team in a public location. I was thinking it was easier for me to share with strangers than with family, and that, other than my immediate family, Melissa and her family would be the hardest to share with. I went to the hospital with the plan to pray for her and comfort her family. I had not expected to see Melissa, figuring she would not be allowed visitors outside the family. However, I was allowed to see her, and her mother specifically asked that I go and pray for her.

I went into the Intensive Care Unit where Melissa’s bed was. I talked to Melissa and asked if I could pray for her. She said she would appreciate it, and I prayed for her. I have a CD by Casting Crowns and one of the songs is a narrative of a person asking God to give him words to speak.  His friend is dying and instead of sharing Jesus, he lets fear move him into talking about the weather again. I have loved, listened, and been effected by this song for over a year. When I met with Melissa in the hospital, I had just learned how to share the gospel and was sharing it with strangers. I knew I could not walk out of her room without attempting to share the gospel.

I said, “I am dying to ask you two questions.” (I almost stopped right there because of the stupid way I began my presentation. Do not use the word dying improperly when talking to a patient in ICU). She said I could ask my questions. She answered the EE diagnostic questions in a way that lead me to believe she was not saved. I then asked permission to share the gospel, and she allowed me to share. I shared the gospel and finally asked her for a commitment. The nurse asked me to leave, because visiting hours were over (not because I was sharing gospel). I am sure Melissa is still not saved, but I did lead her brother to Christ a few weeks later. I now do a Bible study in her mother’s house where she currently lives. She has not joined us, but I will continue to pray and will talk to her again about the gospel.

I have shown you that you can mess up and still share the gospel. I have shown you that you can lead even those who know your worst sins to Christ. The power is in the seed, not the sower. The Word of God, spoken or read, works with the Holy Spirit to bring salvation to every creature that trusts in the work Christ did.

My next example is proof of that. I thought sharing the gospel with my family would be the hardest. A few months after speaking with Melissa in the hospital, I started thinking about how hard it would be to share the gospel with my ex-wife. It would be difficult to speak to her without her thinking I wanted to change her into a better person. I was on the way to her house to pick up my oldest boys when that familiar, quiet voice let me know I would share with her that day. At first, I begged God to send another messenger. Then, realizing that He had chosen me for this, I begged Him to give me the words and attitude that would not be condescending to her. I begged that He prepare her heart to understand and receive the words.

My wife and I had been praying for my ex-wife’s salvation, protection, and for God to draw her and her husband to Himself if they were already saved. I realize now that God had sent someone to share the gospel with them, but that person had remained quiet for almost two years. To make a long story short, my ex-wife made a profession of faith that day.

On my way home, I just started crying. One reason for my tears was I had come to Christ while I was still married to my ex, and I did not do the most important thing a husband should do: share and show Christ to his wife. The second reason I cried was because God allowed me to fix one of the mistakes I had made in that relationship by telling my ex-wife about the true gospel. The third reason for my outpouring of emotion was I had reason to believe my oldest boys will see their mom in heaven one day, and they will not have to worry about her salvation.

No comments: