Astore

Friday, February 16, 2007

Slippery Slope

Slippery Slope

I remember back when I was a child the worst thing I could hear from my parents was, We are going to church Sunday and you are going also. I was not saved so church was just something that took time away from me doing what I wanted to do. At the time they where going to a Full Gospel Church of God. Sunday morning was not to bad if I didn't have to go to Sunday school, it would only last about 90 minutes. Sunday night was a whole other story it would start at 6:00 and if I got out at 8:30 I counted myself lucky, sometimes it would last until 9 or 9:30 that seemed like the longest three hours of my life.Then many years later still lost, a good friend called me up and wanted to have lunch so I said sure. The next day at lunch he asked me if I was a good person? I said I was ok I guess. He continued to carry me through Gods law and I realized in man’s eyes I was ok but in Gods eyes I was a terrible sinner and if I died I would spend an eternity in hell. Later that week by the Grace of God I accepted Jesus Christ as my personal savior.

As I sat thinking about finding a church I thought back to my youth and how much I dreaded sitting there for hours listening to dull preaching. This made me slow to want to return to Church. But I started to hunger to hear the word of God taught, my friend started a Bible study in my parents house, as soon as it was over each week I started looking forward to the next week, for some reason now I've enjoyed hearing the word of God spoke and taught. Sitting through an hour or two seemed to fly by and left me wanting more.

After about a month me and my wife started to church, go figure it was a Church of God. As time went on I started to notice the Pastor kept a close eye on his watch and sometimes even if he wasn't finished with his message he would finish it up because it was almost noon or on Sunday night the one hour I guess allotted for church was almost up. I didn't think to much about it at the time, but I continued to see a trend toward more Songs, worship, praise, and less preaching of Gods Holy word. Now don't get me wrong praise and worship is very important and I think it is ok to have an entire service occasionally of just it. But the preaching and teaching of Gods Holy word is very important for Christian growth. Then I started paying attention to preaching and teaching on TV, radio, or wherever I heard it. I noticed sometimes an entire sermon or lesson was taught and very little if any Bible verses was read or even mentioned.

I am a Sunday school teacher now, and I use stories sometimes that I think are relevant or make a good point but my lesson is based on scripture and the story will lead back to them. I started to study and talk to my friend which is an Evangelist about this trend, and I found out some disturbing things: In the attempt to bring more people in, the modern church has decided to soften the message, tell more stories to make the sermon more entertaining, and to appeal to the people more. They have done studies about what the modern church goer wants and is looking for in a church today. They want less preaching of the word and more exciting things like singing, drama, and other activities.

The modern church has embraced this with open arms, hoping it will bring more people in, and then maybe they will hear something one day that will save them. I hear things like if we can just get them in or we have to do whatever it takes to get them in. What do they hear in some Churches when they get in? The prosperity or modern gospel whatever you chose to call it. Teaching if you just accept Jesus into that God shaped hole in your heart he will fix all your problems, get you a better job, a bigger house, and a nicer car. Now these may be fruits of the spirit that he gives you but it should not be a carrot to dangle in front of a dark and dieing world to lure them to God. They are trying to appeal to the carnal side of man to get them. That is inviting worldliness into the church!Now some of these things alone don't seem that bad but it seems to be a slippery slope. I see churches voting on canceling services for thanksgiving, valentines day, Christmas Day the most important Christian Holiday next to Easter, and the worst I have heard yet cancel church for the Super Bowl. So what will be next Aprils fools day, nice sunny days, maybe even Easter Sunday? That may sound extreme but 50 years ago calling of church for the super bowl would have never even been considered. It is a slippery slope so be careful.Richard N.

No comments: