Astore

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

EBC update 5

EBC -7 update 5



Saturday we went to the Bumper Shoot, as noted in a previous post. Sunday we spent the day at the waterfront near Pike Place Fish Market.

We had around 6 or 7 teams. Two of the teams, one of which I was on, went to a little park that overlooked the water. If you are on Pike street looking at Pike Place Fish Market and turned right, walked to where the street converges with two others, turned left, crossed street, you would be in the park.

The park layout consisted of a main walkway entrance. It was wide enough for 1.5 cars. A van was parked on the walkway when we first got their. It held equipment for a group that was setting up a tent.

The main walkway ended in a T. To the left was a covered area, and it wrapped back around to the street. To the right it went a couple city blocks and then turned back to the street.

We where going there to open air, do 1-2-1’s, and give out tracts. The leader of our sister team was considering leaving and going elsewhere. The reason was that the tent and van belong to the Church of Scientology. We where there for training and witnessing not debating. He talked to some gentlemen to see if it was okay to go back to Pike Street and do open air there. However, the final decision was to stay. I do have to mention that when we initially walked past the scientologist, one of them said “Here comes a bunch of Paul’s” It was interesting that in area that is largely un-churched they would recognize a bunch of Paul’s.

I am going to do two posts on Sunday, I am going to focus this one on our scientology encounters. We never mentioned them in our preaching, and I am unaware if it came up in any 1-2-1’s. We left them alone, and they did not bother us. However, we did have some 1-2-1 encounters with some of them. All of them cordial, and two of them funny.

Stress Test

They where offering a free stress test among other things. It was their draw to talk to people. One of our guys, my 16 year old room mate, decided to take the stress test. I know because I thought about doing, and when I looked over there he was taking it. I prayed for him, and asked a few others to lift him up and use it to witness to the Scientologist “minister”. I did comment that they would be hard pressed to find any stress in him, he looked so relaxed he could have been asleep.

My roommate told me what happened later. He was able to figure out how to make their machine show stress and not show stress. He was totally relaxed and after a series of question the guy asked him what stressed him out. My room mate told him that hell stressed him out as he manipulated the machine to make it show stress. The guy asked him what exactly about hell caused him stress. My fellow sower of seeds said, “the though of all these people going to hell.” The “minister” asked what takes the stress away. The seed sower said something along the lines of, the stress leaves when I remember that Jesus died so they could escape hell if they would trust in Him. The seed sower then relaxed the stress meter so it showed him calm again. They did this for a long time, and the “minister” kept trying to adjust knobs on his machine to fix the problem it was having.

My fellow seed sower, said that they guy’s face started showing fear as he began to realize he was not in control, and that God had fouled his machine up.



The guy that started these boot camps showed up with his team later. He also wanted to check his stress. He did not come with us, so they did not know he was with our group. He walks up and begins talking to the guy. The “minister” says to our leader,” I feel weird around you.” Our leader says, “that is because light and dark cannot be together. You are the dark and I have the light in me.” Our leader then asks the “minister”, “Can I still get a stress test?” The “minister” says, “no”. Our leader responds “Do you mind if I just sit here?” The response was no.

The other experience was not nearly as comical or interesting. I saw another one of our team talking to one of the “ministers.” He talked to him for a long time. I heard this minister ask our seed sower to walk with to get something to eat so they can continue talking.

While no debates or fights occurs, these “ministers” heard the gospel from the open air preachers at least 15 times that day. They came face to face to the face with this realization, He that is in us, is stronger than He that is in them. They had weird feelings, incredible machine malfunctions, and genuine love and caring showed to them. I would not be surprised if some of these “ministers” deny their faith due to a bunch of Paul’s.

I will tell some more of what happened that day in the park, but this had to be told first. I could not tell our park story with out mentioning them and I could not do those events justice with just a few lines.


P.S. Please pray that God sends people to water those seeds sown. That He helps them take root and grow to trees that bear fruit.

No comments: